Ordinary pickup truck covers are fairly easy to remove most of the time. Some pickup truck covers. However, it may prove more challenging than others at times. Here we’ll explain how to take off different types of backings not to find a thorn in the Wilderness buffet trip.
REASONS TO REMOVE YOUR TONNEAU COVER
There are many reasons to take off your truck bed cover. Some common reasons are:
- If you need to carry large cargo: -Depending on the weight and size of your vehicle, you might need to take your cover off temporarily before hauling bulky items such as a couch or kayak. Some pickups/jeeps covers might need to be taken off first.
- If you’ve to install different accessories:- Have you purchased a new accessory? If so, you may need to remove the existing truck cover. Some accessories are compatible with your cover. The tonneau will likely determine if accessories can attach to the vehicle, but you should check your car user guide first to see what kind of tonneau your model comes with. Be sure to consider the type when buying new accessories for your vehicle.
- If your tonneau is looking shabby: Buying a new truck cover could improve the look of your truck and last longer. However, leaving the old, damaged one in place can be bad for your vehicle’s durability and appearance, so you’ll need to remove it before you replace it with a new tonneau.
What tools do you need?
It depends on the type of tonneau. Tonneaus like hinged fiberglass are the most difficult to remove, sometimes requiring multiple people. Soft covers are easier to remove in almost under 15 minutes.
You can probably assume you’ll need the same tools to remove your cover as you used to install it. Your manufacturer’s instructions guide should explain how to remove your tonneau cover and usually specify which tools to use. Ensure you have enough space when working with a tonneau cover and somewhere to save it once it’s been removed.
You may need the following tools. Remember to check your user manual.
- protective goggles
REMOVING DIFFERENT TYPES OF TONNEAU COVERS
This one-piece detachable truck bed cover is easy to remove. You can detach the cover by yourself and then remove the rails in a matter of minutes. With no tools required, you can pull off the truck bed cover piece by piece with ease. Follow these steps:
- Unhook the J-hooks from the tailgate corners roll up the tonneau towards the cap.
- Remove the bows from the side rails. Pull them out of the slots by applying pressure.
- Pull tailgate rail backward to remove it from the two sides.
- Remove side clamps to detach tonneau side rails.
- Lift the side rails from the bed rails.
- Remove the cap rail.
- Fold the cover-up to the bed.
- Use a wrench to remove the bolts of the hinges.
- Then, you and a friend can then stand on each side of the truck, lift the folded cover, and move it off. Be careful not to strain your back.
- If your tonneau had rails, this would leave the rails attached. If you need to add cover back in the recent future, you can leave the rails on.
- If you need to remove the tri-fold cover permanently, you can take rails off.
Want professional help or looking for buying a snugtop tonneau cover in california? Contact us or visit our store right away!